Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Killing Your Blog? Could Be

"10 Mistakes That Could Be Killing Your Blog"
Leo Babauta, Write to Done (November 12, 2008)

"I don’t know about you, but often when I begin exploring new blogs to find useful information, I get so frustrated that I give up and leave within a few minutes of finding the blog.

"While many blogs might contain the useful posts I’m looking for, they often make it too difficult for new readers to find.

"Sure, if you’ve been following a blog for six months or more, you know the blogger, you know the basics of the blog, you know how useful and interesting the blog is.

"But if you’re new, you don’t know any of that. And first impressions mean everything when it comes to attracting — and more importantly, keeping — new readers.

If a reader hates your blog at first site, you’ve lost him. If a reader....
"

I may not change the way I blog (much), based on what "...Killing Your Blog" has to say, but it's good advice.

Generally.

The first point ("Less-than-useful posts") is something I doubt I'll be able to do much about. Examples the author gave of "useful" topics were:
  • Interesting new workouts
  • Yummy recipes
  • Good running advice
  • Frugality ideas
  • Inspiration to improve my life
By that standard, I'm toast. What I don't know about workouts, recipes, and running could fill several books. I know: I've seen them in bookstores.

Frugality ideas? Here's mine: Don't spend money on stuff you don't need, unless you really want it - and can pay for it; get the best value-for-money you can. And, something that has saved me quit a lot of money over the decades: If you think you need something, or really want it, wait until the next day. Odds are pretty good that it isn't as necessary, or attractive, then.

The ninth point, "Way too much clutter on your site" is something I'll have to think about. On the other hand, if I'm going to follow some of the other advice, I'll need that 'clutter.'

Bottom line? This looks like a pretty good resource for bloggers.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory