Jacci Howard Bear, Desktop Publishing, About.com
"Calm and Cool:
"Blue is calming. It can be strong and steadfast or light and friendly. Almost everyone likes some shade of the color blue.
"Pantone has selected the color Blue Iris (PANTONE 18-3943) as the 2008 Color of the Year telling us: 'Combining the stable and calming aspects of blue with the mystical and spiritual qualities of purple, Blue Iris satisfies the need for reassurance in a complex world, while adding a hint of mystery and excitement.'
"Nature of Blue:
"A natural color, from the blue of the sky, blue is a universal color. The cool, calming effect of blue makes time pass more quickly and it can help you sleep. Blue is a good color for bedrooms. However, too much blue could dampen spirits.
"Culture of Blue:
"In many diverse cultures blue is significant in religious beliefs, brings peace, or is believed to keep the bad spirits away...."
This is a pretty good resource for someone who's getting started in design.
An important point: it addresses how different cultures use the color blue differently. And not-so-differently.
The Lemming's opinion is that we're in an age where Western civilization is sorting out what's common to all of humanity - quite possibly hardwired into our brains - and what's assigned by cultures.
Like the color white, which is 'obviously' a color of purity. Also death and surrender. Depends on who's seeing it.
And that's another topic.
- "Blog Header Design: Pretty Good Advice"
(March 30, 2010)
- "Color, Psychology, Emotions and Mood"
(January 30, 2010)
- "Interior Design: A Pretty Good Learning Resource"
(September 24, 2009)
- "Blue-Colored Streetlights Reduce Crime, Suicide?!"
(December 17, 2008)
- "Are Moods Really Blue? Color, Psychology, and Culture"
(May 21, 2008)
- "Designing Art for Billboards; and a Fictional Small Town"
(January 3, 2010)
- "Color Perception: An Impressive Illusion"
(June 27, 2009)
- "Online Software for Interior Design and Decorating"
(June 20, 2009)
- "Online Color Wheel: Dial Your Own Color Scheme"
(June 1, 2009)
- "What Color is Your Blog? Why? An Online Discussion With Resource Links"
(February 12, 2009)
- "Lots of Words Mean "Red" - Damask Isn't One of Them"
(January 3, 2009)
- "RGB to HEX to RGB Online Do-it-Yourself Conversion Software"
(June 10, 2008)
- "Color Psychology and Marketing"
"Business, Sales and the World Wide Web Are In Color"