Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cute Baby Easter Bunnies, Responsibility, and a Charming Photo

"A few words about Easter, and Baby Bunnies"
Disapproving Rabbits (March 29, 2010)

"A repost of what I wrote last year:

"So, Easter's coming up.

"I, of all people, am not going to tell you that rabbits don't make good pets. They do. They're intelligent, cute, and fun to have around.

"However.

"There is always a problem this time of year of people who buy rabbits as pets as Easter gifts, then decide later they don't want them...."

There's pretty good advice here. And a picture of some really cute little rabbits:


(from Disapproving Rabbits, used w/o permission)

I like animals. Even if I didn't feel that way, I'd still have to be treat them humanely. (I'm a Catholic, and we've got rules about that, too: A Catholic Citizen in America (August 17, 2009).)

This Disapproving Rabbits post recommends that, if you're determined to take responsibility for the care and feeding of a rabbit, you get one from an animal shelter, not a pet store. My oldest daughter got her rabbit, Giol, that way: and he's a charming little fuzzbucket.

And seriously? Think about it before getting a pet. I'm not one of the 'animals are people, too' folks. On the other hand, I recognize that homo sapiens sapiens has the ability to make choices - and that makes us responsible for the choices we make.

So enjoy the cute rabbit photos, and if you just want something soft and cuddly: get a plush toy. They're a whole lot easier to maintain.

Related posts:

2 comments:

Brigid said...

The little brown one seems to be getting squished. lol

I don't know how often most shelters get rabbits. The one here only had three for a very short time after a breeder got shut down. (That's when I got my little fella.)

Brian H. Gill said...

Brigid,

I suppose rabbits may show up more often in larger metropolitan areas: but I don't know. Good point.

I think getting pets through a shelter is a good idea, though: as a kindness to critters, and other reasons.

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory