Saturday, March 20, 2010

Lemming Tracks: Tax Time Surprise

The Lemming made a mistake involving a calendar, a year's worth of records, and the IRS. It's not as bad as it sounds. I thought I had nine days before information for the household taxes had to be completed.

Turns out, I have two.

Well, two isn't all that much less than nine. On the other hand, it's nowhere near as many.

So, as you see, the Lemming will be putting in long hours this weekend, making sure that I've got all my ducks in a row.

The good news, for me, is that I expect to have the data organized by Monday morning.

The bad news is that the Lemming won't be writing posts this weekend. I'll catch up as soon as I can, though.

For folks who don't live in America: April 15 is the day taxes are due for most Americans. There's generally a scramble at Post Offices late in the evening, as people que up to mail their tax returns. The IRS has what I think is a reasonable rule: As long as the postmark is dated on or before April 15, you're okay.

Even if the forms take a month to get to the IRS office.

Which doesn't happen very often.

Which Reminds Me of Something Completely Different

I spent two decades with a company that did most of its business through the mail. For about ten of those years we'd send out tens of thousands of pieces of mail each quarter. I was responsible for seeing to it that the company's contact lists were kept up to date - and tracking what we sent out, to get some assurance that what we sent arrived at its destination.

Once in a while something we sent would come back as debris in a durable plastic bag. But not often.

2 comments:

Brigid said...

Ouch on the shredded mailing thing.

Oh, and a typo: "For about ten of those years We'd send"

The Friendly Neighborhood Proofreader

Brian H. Gill said...

Brigid,

Fixed it. Thanks!

Just one typo? I'm doing better than I thought I might. ;)

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory