Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Really Weird Fashion Design: and My Take on Yunjin

"My name is Cecil, I play the ukulele…"
Oddly Enough, Reuters blog (April 5, 2010)

"Hey there, Gorgeous! You come to this bar often?

"I myself make this scene a couple times a week. Gotta spread myself around where the hot chicks are, am I right?

"Yo Joey! My usual! Double Crème de Menthe on the rocks!

"Anyhoo, my name's Cecil. I'm a Leo, I play the ukulele, and I've been to ALL five of the Great Lakes.

"I sell homemade lunch meat door-to-door. It's a good living, Cutie-Pie.

"Oh, this outfit? It's IMPORTED. From China...."

Ladies, if this reminds you of that 'date from Hell' - sorry about that.

The last line in the excerpt, "...this outfit? It's IMPORTED. From China....", is for real. That Reuters photo was taken at the "Hempel Award 18th China International Young Fashion Designers Contest during China Fashion Week in Beijing, March 25, 2010."

I don't know who dreamed that up. Or why. Or what, in the name of all that is sane and coherent, the designer had in mind.

Related posts:
In fairness, not all fashion designers - well, clothing designers, anyway - are insane. Someone got sobered up long enough to create these distinctly non-hideous garments:


(From CCTV, used w/o permission)


(From CCTV, used w/o permission)

The idea of the project behind those photos was to create a market for 云锦/Yunjin, or cloud brocade. Folks have been making Yunjin for about 15 centuries - but younger artisans have become few and far between. I've written about this before. (January 1, 2010) Bottom line, in my opinion: It's not the biggest crisis in the world, but it would be a shame if there was a break in the Yunjin tradition. And it looks like it would be a bear, trying to re-create the technique.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory