From what I've read and seen, the ceremony was spectacular. Make that 'spectacular!' I've put together some of the coverage:
- The Australian (August 9, 2008)
- Timeline/slideshow interactive display
- "Beijing sets the Games alight with spectacular Opening Ceremony" article
- CNN (August 8, 2008)
- "Beijing Olympics opening ceremony hailed all over world" Xinhua (August 9, 2008)
China's own news service: lots of description and photos
- "The Olympic Games fireworks explode"
China Daily (August 8, 2008)
First in a sequence of four photos of the Olympic opening ceremony fireworks.
Sure, it's just four pictures: But they're spectacular.
China is doing a pretty good job with One World One Dream, "The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games August 8-24, 2008." The website has a Videos section, but I didn't find anything on the opening ceremony - they may be still preparing a vid, I suppose.
I recommend the CNN video collection. It gives a look at how some people in China see this year's Summer Olympics. It's a very big deal for them, and a point of national pride. (I posted before, on how anxious the Chinese leadership seems to be, that their Olympics come out flawlessly, in "Chinese Olympics: A Bit on the Control Freak Side?" (August 4, 2008).)