Friday, July 4, 2008

Why Isn't Hot-Dog Eating an Olympic Sport?

I don't follow the sport of hot-dog eating closely as I might, but it's hard not to notice the highlights of these popular international competitions.

Today's news from the world of international hot-dog eating focuses, of course, on the contest which determines who goes home with the "Coveted Mustard Yellow International Belt" - and a year's supply of hot dogs from Nathan's. That's the sponsor of the annual event.

With hearts full of hope, and empty bellies, hot-dog crammers from around the world have converged on the corner of Surf and Stillwell avenues in Brooklyn's Coney Island section each year since 1916.

"Champ a top dog again with 49 wieners"
CNN (July 4, 2008)

"NEW YORK (CNN) -- Takeru Kobayashi won his fifth consecutive hot-dog eating title Monday by downing 49 frankfurters in 12 minutes, leaving 17 competitors in his wake.

"But the Nagano, Japan, eating champion fell short of his personal best set last year -- a record 53.5 hot dogs and buns.

" 'I'm very sad,' Kobayashi, 27, said through an interpreter. 'I came here to beat it. Maybe next year I will.'

"American Sonya Thomas, 37, placed second. Her consumption of 37 frankfurters set an American record...."

Seeing the level of international interest in the sport of hot-dog eating, I've wondered why this sport isn't included in the Olympics?

11 comments:

Brigid said...

I've heard that small people actually do better in eating contests than large people because they have less stuff (fat) sitting on their stomachs.

So that and perhaps other reasons I'm not all that surprised that a Japanese man won the contest so many times.

I don't think I'll be participating, though. The thought makes me queasy.

Brian H. Gill said...

Brigid,

Me, too, truth be told.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is interesting. I just read Doc Nicole's post on nitrite laden hotdogs. "If one hot dog a week increases your child’s risk of developing brain cancer, why would any parent want to feed their child such a food?"
http://www.kitchentablemedicine.com/hot-dogs-foe-of-kitchen-table/

Brian H. Gill said...

timethief,

Thanks for the URL. I'm repeating it here, as a link. "Hot Dogs: Foe of Kitchen Table."

And, to round things out a bit, here's what Consumer Reports has to say about "Hot Dogs."

My own opinion is that eating over three dozen hot dogs a day would, over the years, be bad for a person.

However, after experiencing that wonderful period when everything caused cancer, I take dire warnings with a grain of salt. Even though salt causes heart disease - and kills leeches.

Seriously? I appreciate the heads-up. My household is so clean-eating that I have an aftertaste for hours on those rare occasions when I have the more standard commercial foods.

Anonymous said...

This is just to let you know that I'm not a food snob or anything. Unlike most women I do not have a weight problem. My health is so tentatively balanced (autoimmune diseases) that I either stick to a whole foods, organic diet or I get flareups that knock me right out of being able to work for days on end, while I suffer with acute pain from grossly swollen joints and migraines. I also have multiple food allergies. I can't touch any "prepared" foods, including hotdogs or meat from hormone injected feedlots without becoming really ill.

Anonymous said...

I've seen a few of these and thought to myself: "If my family ate like that (with no complaints) I wouldn't mind cooking as much. : )

Brian H. Gill said...

timethief,

I have some idea of what you experience. My family has chemical sensitivities, I suppose you could say.

Jamie,

How true!

Anonymous said...

Just the thought of cramming a hot dog down my throat is repulsive to me..I tell the kids that they are made of eyelids and noses..now if I were starving I could maybe see the point but otherwise...YUCK!
On top of that celebrating gluttony when so many people are starving this world just seems morally and ethically wrong.

Alexander said...

It's time for that guy to be de-bunned!

Brian H. Gill said...

Renee,

My parents lived through the Depression and Dust Bowl of the Thirties, so I understand what you mean.

What concerns and upsets me more than eating contests like this is the habit I've seen displayed so often in places like cafeterias, where people can choose how much food they put on their plate.

I've very often seen enough food to make a small meal get dumped in the garbage.

In terms of volume, that sort of chronic waste has eating contests beat, hands-down.

Brian H. Gill said...

Alexander,

Ouch.

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory