Crawling Chaos, the web site of Wes Jones (Worcester Polytechnic Institute almnus)
"Holidays these days seem to fall into two basic categories. There are those that are over-commercialized, and there are those that are basically ignored. Christmas is an example of the former, and Groundhog Day is an example of the latter...."
Wes Jones gives us new - and strange - reasons to celebrate, including:
- January - Carnivorous Plant Appreciation Month
- February 14th - Horned Lizard Day
- May 23rd - The Defenestration of Prague
- This one's real
- December 8th - Pangolin Day
"...This is an actual date in history, which warrants note whether you care about the actual event or not. On May 23, 1618, in Prague, a few royal officials were thrown out a window of Hradcany Castle by some noblemen, but survived the fall by landing in a cart full of manure...."
Pangolin Day's entry introduces us to pangolin carols - this might actually catch on.
Along with Ladel Day.
Related (?!) posts:
- "Nine Decades of Robots Turning on Their Masters"
(January 25, 2011)
- "Lemming Tracks: "8 x 8" Water Rule, Real Research; Beer and Pretzels"
(November 27, 2010)
- "Pangolins: Anteaters From Another Planet?"
(May 4, 2010)
- "Large Hadron Collider Stopped by God! Time Travel Sabotaging Atom-Smasher! (He Told a Reporter?!)"
(October 19, 2009)
- "Cloud Cities of Venus"
(July 25, 2008)
A tip of the hat to one of the Lemming's daughters, for the heads-up on Horned Lizard Day. And pangolin carols.