Farfel Puppets, Dogs, TVAcres.com
"Farfel - A friendly, floppy-eared hound dog puppet of wooden dummy Danny O'Day who was created and operated by ventriloquist, Jimmy Nelson.
"Talking with a sleepy drone, Farfel appeared in a series of Nestlés Quik chocolate commercials from 1953-65.
"After the little jingle of 'N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestlés tastes the very best,' Farfel in an extended yawn delivered the closing line 'CH-A-A-A-W-CLIT.'
"The distinctive snapping shut of Farfel's jaws after saying "CH-A-A-AW-CLIT" initially happened by accident during rehearsals for the Nestle's commercials when Nelson's sweaty hands caused his finger to slip inside the puppet. Luckily, the folks at Nestles liked it and the rest is history...."
There's more, about Farfel's ad-lib beginnings in Wichita, Kansas; Danny O'Day (puppet); Frank Marshall (not a puppet); and the Texaco Star Theater.
For the Lemming, this page was a short trip down Memory Lane. Your experience may vary. Particularly if you're under the age of, say, 25.
Think about it, though: 50 years from now, the AFLAC duck and today's version of Tony the Tiger may not seem quite as fresh and - sophisticated?? - as they do today.
- "A Sentimental, Heartwarming Holiday Movie: Despicable Me"
(December 20, 2010)
- "Roadside Attractions, Minnesota: Voyageurs and Nature; Animals and Birds; Fish and - Things"
(April 14, 2010)
- "Yogi Yorgesson's "I Yust Go Nuts At Christmas" and the Hamms Bear"
(December 15, 2009)
- "New Abraham Lincoln Statue Cheesy: Literally"
(July 5, 2009)
- "How to Make Editors Hate You, Plus: Freelance Failure; and Writing Worser Than Nobidy"
(January 12, 2008)