humanoido, YouTube (August 25, 2007)
"Tiny Penguin robot dances on roller skates! The skates are made from little tablet boxes with wheels made from furniture skid protectors."
This tiny dancing robot is not serious competition for Honda's Asimo.
It also doesn't look all that much like a penguin.
On the other hand, it's a whole lot more than that dancing cactus you may have brought back from your last vacation.
There's an impressive list of credits at the end of the video: right after a rapid succession of stills from old-time skating ads and articles.
Viewed strictly as entertainment, at 4:57 this video is too long.
On the other hand, that's a cute little robot. Emphasis on little. And watch its moves: there's some fairly serious programming here. Or, maybe dumb luck. My guess is that it's programming skills.
Bottom line? This is an impressive home movie - made by quite an impressive number of people - about a seriously undersized dancing robot that - with a bit of work and a penguin suit - could be even cuter than it is.
- "Visit Japan's 'Robot Mecha' - Redundant Title, Fun Article"
(December 16, 2009)
- "Asimo Robots: We'd Better Get Used to This"
(November 12, 2009)
- "The Robots are Coming! The Robots are Coming!"
(November 4, 2009)
- "Sudoku-Solving Robot: with Video"
(September 8, 2009)
- "Asimov's 3 Laws, Real Robots, and Common Sense"
(August 20, 2009)
- "Japanese Dwarf Flying Squirrels: And Dancing Robots"
(August 18, 2009)