LiveScience, via MSNBC (February 27, 2010)
"Seismic shockers are to be expected, but planet seems to be more active"
"Chile is on a hotspot of sorts for earthquake activity. And so the 8.8-magnitude temblor that shook the region overnight was not a surprise, historically speaking. Nor was it outside the realm of normal, scientists say, even though it comes on the heels of other major earthquakes.
"One scientist, however, says that relative to the time period from the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s, Earth has been more active over the past 15 years or so...."
'And we're all gonna die?'
I don't doubt that there's more tectonic activity each year now, than in the mid-70s. That was then, this is now: and natural events do seem to go in cycles. We call the weather cycle that's associated with Earth's orbit "seasons." There may be patterns of earthquakes and volcanism that we don't know about yet.
But in answer to the 'screamer' headline on this topic in another source, "Is nature out of control?" - I rather doubt it.
On the other hand, if I had the ethical deficit it would take to do so: I could probably make quite a lot of money by writing a book about how the world was coming to an end. In about four or five years, to give people plenty of time to buy copies.
Maybe I'd take pronouncements of doom more seriously, if I hadn't seen so many come and go as the decades rolled by: and hadn't taken the trouble to sort out facts and assertions - and research the facts.
More about change and getting a grip, at:
- "Frail, Delicate Little Mother Nature?!"
(December 20, 2009)
- "Global Warming, End Times - 'We're All Gonna Die' Over the Last 45 Years Or So (Who Knew?)
A Catholic Citizen in America (October 3, 2009)
- "Cosmic Rays: Strongest in 50 Years"
(September 30, 2009)
- "The Ice is Falling! Runaway Melt Mode"
(September 23, 2009)
- "'Perfect Solar Storm' 150 Years Ago Today: Good News; Bad News"
(September 2, 2009)
- "Emotions, the Frontal Cortex, The War on Terror, Anarchists, and the Illuminati"
Another War-on-Terror Blog (December 23, 2008)
- "Change, American Culture, Trilobites, Humanity's History, and the Big Picture"
(last updated February 28, 2010)