- Flattery intended to persuade
- Loud and confused and empty talk
- Speak (about unimportant matters) rapidly and incessantly
- Influence or urge by gentle urging, caressing, or flattering
- Have a lengthy discussion, usually between people of different backgrounds
- Empty words
- Empty talk
- Hot air
- "What's With 'Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo.' "
(April 7, 2011)
- "Lemming Tracks: a Recovering English Teacher and the Dean's Spellchecker"
(January 12, 2011)
- "Intermittent Alliteration: Interested?"
(January 8, 2011)
- "Zanzibar, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Words"
(October 25, 2010)
- ""Rattle" is Akin to Middle Dutch Ratel"
(October 18, 2010)