Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Advice for New Bloggers

I ran into a pretty good post with advice for people who are new to blogging. Like me.

Blogging Advice to Beginners from Successful Bloggers, in my opinion, makes good points. Although I'm very new to blogging, I've been a webmaster for quite a few years. Much of this advice is familiar, and generally accepted.

I wonder if the advice to "register your own domain" and not use services like WordPress or Blogger is all that good. Registering a domain costs money: not all that much, but at my end of the income scale any expense is significant.

Besides, I've found that using Blogger (now a part of Google, I understand) puts my posts on Google's blog search function in hours: much better than the weeks it could take for frequently-updated pages on my longest-standing website to get fresh Google listings.

A final bit of nit-picking: "SEO" means Search Engine Optimization" or "...Optimizing" or whatever Optimiz[sufix] you want. I know what it means, but wonder how many blogging newbies do.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory