Thursday, April 17, 2008

10 Habits of Effective Writers - One Writer's Opinion

"10 Habits of Effective Writers"
Writinghood (April 5, 2008)

Point one: "You should always proofread your work over and over again" - this struck me as a bit obsessive-compulsive, but the writer's got a point.

Point two: "Reading for pleasure is nice and it subconsciously helps writers create better sentences" - yes!

Point five: "Use a pen and paper to write for a first draft if you can" - happily, this is qualified with "...there's less of a brain to hand thought transfer going on with a computer unless you're really fast."

Not everyone is like this writer. For example, I took a business school class to learn typing, back in my late teens. One of the smarter things I've done. I type (or key in, now) considerably faster than I write, and much more effortlessly. My kids are the same way - they'll sit down at a keyboard, there's a rattling sound, and words happen.

I applaud the writer of this post, for recognizing the range of human experience and ability. (I learned to type, because I'm one of the few people on Earth who can read my own handwriting.)

Pretty good resource.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory