Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Million-Dollar Umbrella

"Judge tosses restaurant owner's umbrella suit against model Le Call"
Daily News (September 12, 2008)

A Manhattan judge tossed out the case of a chap who lent an umbrella worth $5,000 USD to a model, and got it back "in pieces."

On top of that, the judge fined the bereaved umbrella-owner's lawyer for $500 for "wasting the court's time on a matter that belonged in small-claims court."

For someone like me, $5,000 doesn't feel like "small claims," but then I don't live in Manhattan and own a limited-edition leather umbrella.

I suppose I can see the umbrella-owner's point. He says that he loved that umbrella. He misses it. And he doesn't think the model was very polite.

I wondered why he would loan a treasure like that to some stranger, until I saw the model's photo, in the Daily News article. I've known men to do dafter things, faced with someone who looks like that.

2 comments:

Brigid said...

"On top of that, the judge the bereaved umbrella-owner's lawyer for $500"

The judge *what* the lawyer?

Good grief. If I had an umbrella worth that much it'd be in a glass case with an alarm system or *something*. I certainly wouldn't be carrying it around with me.

Brian H. Gill said...

Brigid,

Thanks. I've got to start making sure I'm awake when doing these posts. Found it, fixed it.

And, agreed. This micro-review doesn't do the story justice. The umbrella owner is quoted in the article: I actually sympathize with him, but think that he's got a good-sense deficit.

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory