Saturday, September 6, 2008

Google's Chrome Fast: And I Won't be Using it Soon

My son thought Chrome was pretty cool when he first tried it. I think he still does.

I've read about it, and am impressed with Google's new browser, but I won't be using it any time soon.

It isn't the automatic download and installation of updates. That makes some sense: although I generally set things up so that the updates download in the background, but let me know when it's time to install them.

CNet and FOXNews noted some "creepy language" in Chrome's TOS.

If you use Google's Chrome, you keep the copyright to any of your content that you use in the browser, "By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license...." That's the start of two long sentences that keep me away from Chrome for now.

I understand that Google wants to - and needs to - market its services and products, but as professional writer, I have to be cautious about what intellectual property rights I give away.

As FOXNews put it, "...Google claims the right to use anything you create using its Web-based applications, such as the Google Docs office suite, the Picasa photo organizer or the Blogger blog creator to promote its own services, without permission or compensation...." I suspect - and hope - that Google will step back from the rather sweeping language quoted in both articles.

Aside from the TOS, and some 'verson 0' issues, Chrome seems to be a fine browser: and very fast.

More:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory