Thursday, June 19, 2008

Buildings Where Crimes Were Done: What Happens Next

"Houses of Horror: What Happens After the Crime"
FOXNews (June 19, 2008)

"They are where some of America's most notorious and gruesome crimes took place — the homes where murderers like Jeffrey Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy killed or stashed their victims.

"But after the police tape is removed, the bodies are buried and the blood is scrubbed away, owners of homes like those where Sharon Tate or JonBenet Ramsey were murdered must find a way to make the "crime scene stigma" go away. What do you do with your house of horrors?

" 'My advice is to hang on to the property, keep it in use,' said Randall Bell, a real-estate economist who specializes in troubled properties. 'You don't want these properties to go vacant because it tends to amplify the problems and curiosity and negative stigmas.'..."

There's more, including advice about changing the building's address, a few words from the owner of Dearly Departed Tours, and a 'where are they now' look at infamous buildings.

A pretty good, quick, look at what happens to the property where infamous crimes are committed.

2 comments:

Brigid said...

Actually, I wouldn't be quite so worried about the social stigma. What I would be worried about is any residue from the emotional and physical violence.

"I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do, I do, I do, I do, I do believe in spooks!"

Brian H. Gill said...

Brigid,

I know what you mean, but what people think about a place affects what sort of price it can bring, when it's time to sell.

And that's important, too.

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory