Sunday, June 22, 2008

Electric Cars: Those Things Actually Work!

"Elton Baum and His "Green" Golf Cart"
Loonfoot Falls Chronicle-Gazette (June 20, 2008)

"When gas went over three dollars a gallon in late 2006, Elton Baum decided to do something about it.

" 'I couldn't keep the price down,' he said with a grin, 'but I could do something about how much I used. Now, I don't go into town with the truck, unless it's for something really big.'

"Even a small car uses some gasoline, so Mr. Baum looked around for an alternative...."

What follows is an excerpt from a weekly paper in the fictional small town of Loonfoot Falls, Minnesota. This is my latest blog project: posts about an imaginary town, showing "small town life the way it never was."

It's fictional, and exaggerated, but the blog will, I think, show a little of what it's like to live in 'small town America,' and - more to the point - be fun to read.

This week's 'golf cart' post gave me an education. Since technical mistakes can ruin a joke, I did a little checking into the state-of-the-art for electric cars and golf carts.

There were times, like the seventies gas crisis (lines at the pump, what we'd call pump rage today, quite a memorable period), when electric cars were being seriously considered.

The enthusiasts would insist that everyone should go electric. Now. Others would look at tortoise-like acceleration, and a top speed well under any known speed limit, and wonder if it wouldn't be simpler - and faster - to walk.

That was then. I didn't find out what sort of acceleration electric cars can manage now, but souped-up golf carts can go over forty miles an hour (over 64 Kilometers per hour), and both range and recharge times are into a practical range.

Here's some of what I found:Finally, the article that got me thinking about Elton Baum and his electric golf cart:

"Man saves gas by tricking out golf cart"
The Daily News (Greenville, Belding and Montcalm, Michigan) (June 14, 2008)

"ROOSEVELT PARK - Go ahead, look all you want.

"He might stand out a bit, but Louis Schaub said driving his electric golf cart through town is worth every penny he isn't spending on gas.

" 'It's a head turner. Everyone looks,' Schaub said of the street-legal golf cart he uses to buzz around town at 25 mph. 'I just continue on. I know they're looking.'..."

This article is worth reading: particularly for a look at how Louis Schaub dealt with seriously behind-the-times state officials.

Although it showed me that an electric golf cart could work in an urban setting, under controlled conditions, I still thought that using a golf cart as a drive-to-town vehicle would be a good start for a joke.

I was wrong: but there's potential for humor in a practical electric cart. I think we'll be hearing more about Elton Baum.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory