Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mabinogi: Another Online Game, and a Wonderful Time-Waster

Mabinogi
a Nexon online game

My daughters introduced this game to me. It's another of those 'massive multi-player' online games. Mabinogi lets players operate characters in a fantasy world that's rather like late-medieval Europe, except with magic and seriously over-sized spiders. Other monsters too, I understand.

It isn't a simple hack-and-slash: characters can fish, go to school, and (I understand) develop a moderately rich set of skills. Just to see what it's like, I loaded it (all 800 megabytes!) on my computer today, and got a character started.

In the process, I learned that I'll have to be careful about playing it: It's entirely too much fun - and has the potential for taking up huge tracts of time.

I play Runescape, another MMP game, from time to time. The big difference I see at this point is that Mabinogi has much more detailed graphics.

And a larger footprint on your hard drive.

Still, it's fun.

One more thing: there's a free version (that's what I played with today), and a not-so-free version. Also quite a few opportunities to spend (real) money.

Finally, I'm told that the dialogs and descriptions were originally written in Korean. The translations are quite understandable - but I suspect that some Korean idioms were translated word-for-word into English. An example: one character has a helmet that covers his face "up to his nose." The illustration shows a chap with a helmet that lets you see his mouth and chin, but not his nose, eyes, forehead, or hair.

The linguistic oddities haven't gotten in the way of playing the game, though.

Finally, my son is looking forward to being thirteen. One of the many reasons is that players of this game must be 13 or older.

1 comment:

DJ Reidak said...

I love Mabinogi. It is a bit annoying since I am a programmer to constantly being distracted by games, but Mabinogi is so fun. I could (and have) play for hours.

I have played RuneScape in the past, but after encountering Mabinogi (and getting a new computer that would play it decently), I have never thought of going back to RuneScape.

I must say, when it comes to MMOs, this one takes the cake (although I am anticipating good things from Lego Universe).

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory