Monday, May 18, 2009

Computers, Ignorance, Paranoia, Tech Support, and Humor

"Computer Stupidities"
RinkWorks

" 'On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.'
-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)


"The following is a large collection of stories and anecdotes about clueless computer users. It's a baffling phenomenon that in today's society an individual ... can sit down in front of a computer screen and instantly lose every last shred of common sense he ever possessed. Complicate this phenomenon with a case of 'computerphobia,' ... You will read stories in this file that will convince you that among the human race are human-shaped artichokes futilely attempting to break the highly regarded social convention that vegetables should not operate electronic equipment...."

It's broken down by topics and sub-topics, like
  • Systems
    • Piecing It Together
    • Mincing Words Operating Systems Icons Hardware Requirements Backups Programming
There's even
  • Role Reversal
    • Stupid Tech Support
    • Stupid Salesmen
I found one tale, under Emergencies - Paranoia - that reminded me of a call or two I handled during my tech support days:

"I was once using the generic telnet program on the library computers to check my mail on UTM (the local university) with Pine. The computer-inept librarian walked up behind me.
* Her: (shrieking) 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING???'
* Me: 'I'm checking my email--'
* Her: 'It looks like you're breaking into the computer!!'
* Me: 'No really -- I'm checking my mail.'
* Her: 'But that's not HOTMAIL!!'
* Me: 'I don't use hotmail. I use--'
* Her: 'But EVERYONE uses HOTMAIL!!'
* Me: 'No, my account goes through UTM. My email account ends with--'
* Her: 'But that's not what MYYY UTM looks like!!' (apparently referring to the UTM web page)
* Me: 'Yes, I'm telnetting. It's another way of accessing--'
* Her: 'I think you better shut that off. You're breaking into the computer.'
* Me: 'But I--'
* Her: Turn it off. I don't believe that "checking mail" story.'
"

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory