Friday, December 26, 2008

"Is College Worth It?" - Good Question

"Is College Worth It?"
Clio and Me (December 26, 2008)

"In 'America's Most Overrated Product: the Bachelor's Degree,' Marty Nemko argues, 'College is a wise choice for far fewer people than are currently encouraged to consider it.' Looking at my plagiarism rate from last semester and considering the number of students at George Mason University who fail the mandatory History 100 survey simply because they do not show up or turn in their work, I have to admit that he has a point. He argues that high school students in the bottom half of their class should think twice before entering a four-year college. A two-year college or non-degree program might be more appropriate...."

I'll admit to a bias here: I really don't think college is for everyone. I don't think trade school is for everyone, either, and I know that everyone's not cut out for a career in the Marines.

I don't have anything against people who go to college, trade school, or join the Marines: I just don't think that any of these options - or others - is The Only Way To Go.

Particularly after I learned what I could have been making, if I'd had the sense to become a good auto mechanic.

"Is College Worth It?" won't be the easiest-reading, or most entertaining, post you're likely to read, but I think it discusses a very important topic.

There's a discussion thread on the same topic, with a link to the post and some rather diverse opinions. Including my own:

"Is the Bachelor's Degree Overrated?"
BlogCatalog discussion thread, started December 26, 2008

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles

Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle online store

Pinterest: From the Man Behind the Lemming

Top 10 Most-Viewed Posts

Today's News! Some of it, anyway

Actually, some of yesterday's news may be here. Or maybe last week's.
The software and science stuff might still be interesting, though. Or not.
The Lemming thinks it's interesting: Your experience may vary.
("Following" list moved here, after Blogger changed formats)

Who Follows the Lemming?

WebSTAT

Family Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory